Who are Mandated Reporters?

Mandated reporters are volunteers involved with children in any capacity or any of the following individuals performing their occupational duties:

  • "Health practitioner" is any individual who provides health care services, including a physician, surgeon, physical therapist, dentist, resident, intern, hospital staff member, podiatrist, chiropractor, licensed nurse, nursing aide, dental hygienist, any emergency medical technician, paramedic, optometrist, medical examiner, or coroner who diagnoses, examines, or treats a child or his family.
  • "Mental health/social service practitioner" is any individual who provides mental health care or social services diagnosis, assessment, counseling, or treatment, including a psychiatrist, psychologist, marriage or family counselor, social worker, member of clergy, aide, or other individual who provides counseling services to a child or his family.
  • "Member of the clergy" is any priest, rabbi, duly ordained clerical deacon or minister, Christian Science practitioner, or other similarly situated functionary of a religious organization unless not required to report a confidential communication as defined in the Code of Evidence Article 511.
  • "Teaching or child care provider" is any person who provides or assists in the teaching, training and supervision of a child, including any public or private school teacher, teacher's aide, instructional aide, school principal, school staff member, bus driver, coach, professor, technical or vocational instructor, technical or vocational school staff member, college or university administrator, college or university staff member, social worker, probation officer, foster home parent, group home or other child care institution staff member, personnel of a residential home facilities, a licensed or unlicensed day care provider, or any individual who provides such services to a child in a voluntary or professional capacity.
  • Police officers or law enforcement officials.
  • "Commercial film and photographic print processor" is any person who develops exposed photographic film into negatives, slides, or prints, or who makes prints from negatives or slides for compensation.
  • "Mediators" appointed pursuant to Children's Code, Chapter 6 of Title IV.
  • "Court-Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)" is any CASA volunteer under the supervision of a CASA program appointed pursuant of Chapter 4 of Title IV.
  • "Organizational or Youth Activity Provider" is any person who provides organized activities for children, including administrators, employees, or volunteers of any day camp, summer camp, youth center, or youth recreation programs or any other organization that provides organized activities for children.
  • "Coach" is any school coach including but not limited to public technical or vocational school, community college, college or university coaches and coaches of intramural or interscholastic athletics​

What form do mandated reporters use to report abuse/neglect?

Download Mandated Reporters Form to report child abuse. Fax Mandated Reporters form to your Parish Child Welfare Office.

How to Report Child Abuse

Reporting suspected abuse is the most important step you can take to protecting our children. If you suspect abuse, call the agencies listed below or if the child is in immediate danger CALL 911 – You may remain anonymous.

When making a report of suspected abuse please be prepared to provide the following information if you have it:

  • Child’s name, age and address
  • Brief description of the child
  • Current injuries, medical problems or behavioral problems
  • Parents’ names and names of siblings in the home

ALWAYS report all concerns to local law enforcement.  If you also have concerns regarding a child’s safety from a caregiver in their home, then also report to the Department of Child and Family Services (DCFS) Statewide Hotline:  1-855-452-5437
(The Department of Child and Family Services investigate if the child lives with the offender or the offender is a caretaker of the child.)

Caddo Parish Sheriff’s Department: (318) 675-2170
Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Department: (318) 965-2203
DeSoto Parish Sheriff’s Department: (318) 872-3956
Webster Parish Sheriff’s Department: (318) 377-1515
(These agencies investigate if the abuse occurred outside the city limits.)

Shreveport Police Department: (318) 673-7300
Bossier City Police Department: (318) 741-8611
(These agencies investigate if the abuse occurred inside the city limits.)

Helpline for parenting tips or support: 1-800-348-KIDS (5437)
Gingerbread House: (318) 674-2900

If you have questions about who to call or when to call, please feel free to call the Gingerbread House Child Advocacy Center.